Collagen Induction Therapy – Micro-Needling
Collagen Induction Therapy (Micro-Needling)
Collagen Induction Therapy is a popular procedure used to improve:
- Texture and tone
- Surface scarring
- Fine wrinkles
Also known as micro-needling, this phenomenon has been a standard procedure in Europe for decades. The effectiveness of collagen induction therapy rivals lasers for the treatment of fine lines, skin rejuvenation and scarring. Collagen Induction Therapy has a more affordable price point than laser and has minimal to no recovery time. Collagen Induction Therapy can also be used on all skin types with no regard to current or future sun exposure habits.
How does Collagen Induction Therapy work?
The premise is simple, collagen induction therapy uses fine needle penetration to create channels that open in the skin, creating a slight wound effect to disrupt collagen. The skin starts repairing itself immediately to generate new skin cells and increase further collagen production. We use the automated Eclipse MicroPen™ for its predictable performance and safety profile. Depending on the depth of the needle penetration, collagen induction therapy can offer skin rejuvenation levels from the simple enhancement of product absorption to the clinical treatment of scars and fine wrinkles.
Where can the Collagen induction Therapy be used?
Treatments are primarily done on the face, neck and chest, but skin needling can successfully be used on any area of the body. It is a great complement to other skin treatments such as chemical peels, IPL-Photo Rejuvenation, and Fraxel laser. Collagen Induction Therapy is a great anti-aging maintenance treatment to help collagen production several times a year.
What is Collagen Induction Therapy used for?
- Lip wrinkles
- Skin texture/Tone
- Increased product absorption
- Superficial facial wrinkles
- Melasma and pigmentation
- Pore appearance
- Skin texture
- Scars and Acne scarring
How deep do the micro needles go?
From very superficial penetration to deep dermal penetration, the professional applications have a wide range of potential to improve and correct skin problems without the use of lasers. Penetration ranges begin at cosmetic depth of 0.25mm to clinical treatment depths up to 2.5mm.
- Light penetration opens the skin long enough for the introduction of specific treatment serums. Since most product molecules are too large to cross the skin barrier, they can only be minimally effective. The Eclipse MicroPen™opens the skin for a few minutes and this allows for deeper product penetration so it can reach beneath the surface where they will do the most good. Various treatment serums can be selected for skin lightening, hydration, texture and pore tightening.
- Mid penetration depths can have a very positive impact on superficial sun damage and light scarring to improve skin texture, tone and the appearance of pore size.
- Deeper levels of penetration can improve acne scars, stretch marks, skin tightening and soften wrinkles.
Is skin needling painful?
Superficial treatment levels are very tolerable with nothing more than topical numbing gel that is applied 30 minutes prior to treatment. The lightest application requires no numbing at all.
How many treatments will I need?
Most patients will require 4-6 treatments for best results, but the number of treatments will vary from patient to patient and the severity of what’s being treated. Collagen Induction Therapy is a great anti-aging maintenance treatment to help collagen production several times a year.
- Discontinue retinoid products 2 day prior to use
- An antiviral medication is typically prescribed especially if your are prone to fever blisters
Post procedure care will be discussed and prescribed by your Provider
Day 1: Depending on how aggressive the treatment is, most patients experience a mild burning sensation similar to a sunburn. Mild to moderate redness and in some cases mild swelling
Day 2: A red hue or pink hue persists like a moderate sunburn. Swelling may be more noticeable on the second day.
Day 3: Swelling subsides. Skin can be pink or normal color.
If you have any questions about your procedure please contact:
Alamance Skin Center at: 336-584-5801